Level 2 Trades Academy
Teacher in Charge: Ms M. van Tiggele
The Top of the South Trades Academy has been established in conjunction with other local schools, NMIT and Whenua Iti. The Academy is structured around the school year and students attend NMIT for one day a week or block courses at Whenua Iti. Places in the Academy are limited and students need to demonstrate a commitment to on-going learning.
In most instances students in Trades Academy will also need to study English and four other subjects.
Current Trades Academies (2020) are:
- Building and Construction Year 1 (Level 2) and Year 2 (Level 3)
- Art, Design and Digital Media, a mix of Level 2/3 credits
- Hairdressing Level 2
- Creative Design for Hair and Make Up Level 3
- Civil Infrastructure (Level 2)
- Automotive Engineering Year 1 (Level 2) and Year 2 (Level 3)
- Mechanical Engineering Year 1 (Level 2) and Year 2 (Level 3)
- Environmental Science Level 3
- Health and Support Services Level 2
- Uniformed Services, mix of Level 2/3 credits
- Sport and Exercise Level 2
- Hospitality, Year 1 (Level 2) and Year 2 (Level 3)
- Beauty (Level 2)
- Tourism Operations (Level 3)
- Adventure Tourism Leadership (Level 2 and Level 3)
- Manaaki Tāpoi Cultural Tourism (Level 2 and Level 3)
- Service Industry Internships (Level 3)
- Predator Control and Conservation (Level 3)
Recommended Entry Criteria
NCEA Level 1 Literacy and Numeracy are required. After application, students are interviewed by the College Coordinator(s), who then recommend students to the Trades Academy.
At time of compiling courses for 2021 every effort has been made to ensure the information contained online is accurate. However, it is possible that some course/assessment structures will be subject to change.
All courses are dependent on student numbers and staffing. Students will be advised if the school is unable to provide the subjects they select.